When we talk about the toughest task in web development then it is building top-notch websites and applications in the least possible time. This is the main reason; developers prefer utilizing PHP framework for web apps development that provides various tools to choose from.
However, decision enervation is common when you have a big list of options, that too, and all are good ones. On taking a closer look at the two contenders Symfony and Laravel, we have found that emerging patterns like modularity, performance, configuration, set up requirements, usability, coding styles and the overall architecture.
After days of research, we have finalized the basic differences and strengths of Laravel and Symfony. Both of themes have their own usage, pros, cons and set of features. While it is not a matter “Which is the best????, let’s go deep to know the differences between the two frameworks.
Symfony Web Development Framework
Symfony might not be the most used and trending platform, it suits in well with large-scale and complex business projects. This is because it is definitely the most stable framework.
Symfony works to increase the speed of development and maintenance of web applications and to also used to replace coding iterations. It is also used to work with some of the biggest open source platforms like Drupal, PHPBB and Piwik.
In recent years, it has achieved a lot of popularity. Symfony has a huge impact on PHP tools and frameworks like PSR standards, composer or Doctrine that have become the de-facto level for many different PHP tools. It has a very flexible UI and extensible architecture.
Symfony tends to function with namespaces, autoleaders and composers, all of these are vital parts of a well-designed and structured application. Here is the point to be noted that Symfony components develop the base for Symfony2 MVC framework as well as Laravel framework.
The latest version of Symfony assists developers to create scalable and stable websites that are flexible and easy to changing business needs. As we think that due to its feature to utilize different ORM systems such as Proper or Doctrine, Symfony is yet the top choice of developers.
Having an amazing feature to use various ORMs, is an important and amazing opportunity for programmers, especially if they are following the model layer system in their business logic. This is what makes it very powerful and reliable.
Pros of using Symfony Framework
- With regards to testing, it is at the base of the Symfony. UI testing ensures your AJAX/JS interactions are functioning as they should along with the tools like Selenium. Functional testing is done to ensure the check out the controller interacts in the right way with the model.
- By including some of the advanced features, Symfony makes the process of web development more cleaner such as Forms bundle, maintainable and more secure. Symfony designers and developers don’t need to build HTML form fields by coding, then verify, sanitize and implement that data. Each of these functions is accomplished by the Forms bundle itself.
- Programmers can make the utilization of various scalability options offered by Symfony. From limiting the number of objects to hydrate, minimizing the number of queries with joins, avoid using temporary arrays and optimizing Propels, you achieve high scalability with this framework.
- It handles all the common chunks of web development for its users incorporating request headers and variables (think $_GET, $_POST, $_SESSION etc). It additionally includes multiple pre-defined tasks to ensure security features such as user authentication in order to protect the areas of the websites utilizing some class writing and config files.
- If implemented successfully, it works with a speed that is the total of the individual speeds of all the advantages and features you select to function with. So, we can say that Symfony is faster than other available PHP frameworks if used in a proper way.
Laravel Web Development Framework
As stated above, Laravel arose from many Symfony components and so grasp a big deal of it. While Laravel endeavours to manage the fashion, it also keeps things easy by utilizing sold and stable Symfony base for providing an entirely new way to code within its own MVC development environment.
Laravel does a good job of imposing some structure. Additionally, instead of following a more typical structure like CakePHP it leaves the architecture open for any 3rd party plug-in. But, this way of Laravel is taken differently by different programmers.
While it is very easy to re-use an existing component in several conditions, depending completely on 3rd party libraries can gradually root you a maintenance ordeal, due to which larger Symfony ventures often suffer from.
The main and ideal think about Laravel framework is its Eloquent ORM. Even, it contains both plus and minus. While it is simple and great, due to its simplicity, it is not very granular and well-structured.
Might be, Laravel is one of the best PHP frameworks to use as a front-end framework that does not need you to utilize typical data store functionality. With regards to developing a web application, programmers achieve a decent way to create and execute API’s and to develop routing.
It easy words, When it comes to dealing with more typical back-end functions then we can say that Laravel is the best framework. If we talk about testing, Laravel offers great convenience in Unit testing. Depend on the KISS system (Keep it Simple, Stupid) it does not impose any complex rule for analyzing the best and correct format for your tests.
However, it providers all the necessary tools to compose effective functional and unit tests to offer you exactly what is required and expected.
Pros of using Laravel Framework
- With Laravel, programmers can foist constraints while utilizing multiple database objects using an advanced query builder system. Additionally, you get a simple version control PHP framework Laravel in order to simplify the system of migrations.
- With Laravel, authentication is not a big deal. It is very easy due to the presence of pre-built and ready-to-use authentication system. You just need to configure controllers, views, models and database migrations to make your framework function.
- Laravel provides an auto-loading feature and prevent the developers from making their efforts for manual maintenance and inclusion paths. It also provides a free environment to create new tools utilizing an IoC container.
Symfony and Laravel are the two most popular and renowned PHP frameworks utilized by various organizations globally. They offer the best tools with minimum maintenance facility to its developers that help to speed up the tasks.
Symfony vs Laravel: The Verdict
Both Symfony and Laravel are vital choices for developing scalable, robust PHP projects. Selection between both these frameworks depends upon development plans, project complexity and resource availability.
For small or mid-size projects it is suggested to choose Laravel and for complex PHP application development choose Symfony.
Symfony vs. Laravel: Technical Aspects
Documentation and Learning Curve
In terms of learning material and documentation, Laravel is the winner between both of these frameworks. For programmers to get started developing applications using Laravel there are support videos, detailed tutorials and called Laracasts available.
On the other side, the documentation of Symfony is accessible with obvious documentation about service containers, packages, components etc. Discussing the learning curve, learning to code with Laravel is easier and less time taken than Symfony.
Both Symfony and Laravel are dependent on MVC architecture. But with regards to developing codes, Laravel is not a much reliable choice for modularity in coding and code reusability. For this, Symfony is better for scalable, big and complex projects.
One of the other factors to be taken into consideration when doing a comparison between Symfony and Laravel is the template engine. Symfony has Twig and Laravel has Blade. Blade offers the facility of code reusability; it increases the speed of development by helping developers to utilize the same function twice which is not possible in Twig.
Scalability and Performance
When it comes to measuring the performance of both the frameworks we can judge it via the loading speed of a page. Both Laravel and Symfony caches views. But, Symfony also caches the source code. As stated earlier, Laravel is developed using Symfony, it has achieved improvement in performance. The average loading time for Laravel based websites and applications are 60 milliseconds and for Symfony, it is 250 milliseconds.
Symfony vs. Laravel: Non-Technical Aspects
Based on a report, Laravel is trending in most big nations including the UK, USA, Russia, Brazil and other 196 countries. Symfony is leading in French Polynesia, Réunion, Luxembourg, Mongolia and 3 more nations.
Number of Websites
Based on the statistics and usage report by different tech organizations Symfony is used by 12,715 websites whereas Laravel is used by 74,494 websites all over the world. If the usage and popularity statistics are compared then definitely Laravel would be the winner.
Symfony is leading in different categories such as medicine, dentistry, health and etc. On the other hand, Laravel has better performance in internet & telecom, shopping, arts & entertainment, business & industry and more 210 categories.
Symfony is still behind the whole market share of Laravel as Laravel is leading in top 10k and 100k websites and the almost entire web.
Finally, it is suggested that before finalizing your decision to choose between these two frameworks it is necessary to analyze your business needs and the features offered by these frameworks. Choose the right framework at the start in order to save time and cost.